Thursday 3 May 2012

A light at the end of the unemployment line

It's amazing how one can go from "employed and fabulous" to "unemployed and fabulous" and then, without much warning, following one too many unanswered emails, phone calls, and job interviews, rejection begins to take its toll and soon one finds oneself "unemployed and listless, restless, and discouraged" if one is not careful. As difficult as it is to imagine, I was well on my way down that road named "misery". Self-doubt, numerous resume rewrites, perusing continuing education courses, and considering learning a new foreign language, this once-confident writer began to question her credentials. It is a sad day indeed when a woman nearing middle-age must face the dreaded fork in the road - self-pity or hope. Fortunately, this optimistic gal chose the latter, and without warning, the phone call arrived.
It was a sunny late-afternoon and I was enjoying a hot cup of Earl Grey tea whilst playing with the purring kittens. It is at moments such as these, that I relish in the world of "unemployment", albeit only until the dreaded bills arrive in the post.
Three rings and a "hello" later, and I was well on my way to a new job: part-time, a 2-minute walk from my front door, and hours that a banker would envy. After only one day of training, I am happy to report that it feels "fabulous" to have rejoined the ranks of the working class. The sense of purpose, achievement, and the challenge of learning new skills are most gratifying. I am still stunned at the fact that this was a position I was offered and had never applied for.
It is a happy day indeed when the curve balls that are tossed our way transform into new trails to blaze, new people to meet, and new opportunities ahead. Lesson learned: when I stop pining over the past, the future begins to unfold.

1 comment: